- 6 large portabella mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Treasure Cave® Crumbled Feta Cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup Italian panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the grill to 350F–400F for indirect grilling.*
- Remove the stems from the portabella caps, dice them and set them aside. Brush the caps with olive oil on all surfaces.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, onion and diced mushroom stems, stirring frequently and breaking the sausage apart as it cooks until it’s fully cooked, about 5–6 minutes. Then, remove the mixture from the heat.
- Stir the Treasure Cave® Crumbled Feta Cheese, breadcrumbs and basil into the sausage mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the mushroom caps face down and cook them for 5 minutes, until they’re softened. Then, remove them to a cutting board face up and divide the Treasure Cave® Crumbled Feta Cheese mixture evenly among the caps.
- Return the caps to the grill and grill them for 8–10 minutes more, until they’re hot and the Treasure Cave® Crumbled Feta Cheese begins to brown.
*Grills vary, so watch the mushrooms closely and adjust the heat as necessary to avoid burning them.